Gowkthrapple is a community characterised by exclusion and deprivation which is going through a major regeneration programme. It is situated to the south of Wishaw, on an elevated position above the Clyde Valley.
The area has potential to be a desirable, liveable environment however the Gowkthrapple "Strategic Masterplan" developed in 2007 identified a number of hurdles to developing a strong sustainable community.
It identified a lack of demand for the current housing stock and highlighted overhead electricity lines as a major problem together with ground contamination, derelict business units and a lack of both local amenities and quality greenspace.
The masterplan set out a proactive partnership approach to overcome these issues.
Gowkthrapple offers an opportunity to deliver a positive demonstration of the benefits of Green Network strategic planning as part of a regeneration programme.
The GCV Green Network Partnership contributed toward the creation of a more sustainable Gowkthrapple through the commissioning and funding of a Green Network Strategy for the area.
The Strategy highlights the need for strong local links via a network of safe, well-lit paths which will also link to the wider GCV Green Network. These paths should create opportunities for residents and visitors to access and enjoy Gowkthrapple's natural environment.
This fits into the Gowkthrapple “Strategic Masterplan” to regenerate existing housing areas in Gowkthrapple and develop a new community facility to allow the neighbourhood to grow and develop sustainably. The Strategy highlights opportunities to:
- Encourage community empowerment & ownership
- Develop the existing community park for children’s play, education and biodiversity
- Create interpretation and signage linking to the areas cultural and natural heritage
- Establish allotments promoting healthy eating in and around Gowkthrapple
- Develop safe accessible walking and cycling routes within and beyond the community
The Gowkthrapple Green Network Strategy has been considered as part of the Masterplanning process from a very early stage maximising the opportunity for successful delivery.
As a result of the recommendations in the Gowkthrapple Green Network Strategy several further studies were completed:
- Gowkthrapple Allotment Study
- Gowkthrapple Community Engagement Report
- Gowkthrapple Community Park Design Report
- Gowkthrapple Signage and Interpretation Report
For more information download the Gowkthrapple Report from the publications section >>